What is great in calling a spade a spade, say something metaphoric so that people rack their brains before they understand that you are talking about a spade.

Why December Evening

>> Wednesday, December 30, 2009

If ever I wrote a book - which I strongly believe I have in me - I planned to name it December Evenings, because When I look back at my life it had two memorable months every year, as a matter of fact one and a half months. The first whole month was December and the half month was the first half of January.
All through the year I waited for December. At the dawn of December I waited for it to be 25th when I would go shopping for my birthday and the upcoming farmers festival - Pongal.
I liked everything about this month- the cool, occasionally cold, winter breeze; the jostling crowd in the shopping center where I went shopping; santa claus who entertained me at the shop of my choice; a visit to the beach which happened this day every year, it remained for quite sometime that I went to the beach once a year; the dinner at a restaurant to top it all. Was it the excitement of buying new clothes or was it the seasons tranquility that took me in, I never knew, but I waited for December 25th and then on waited for the new year to dawn. As a kid, I never stayed awake past 12 on the new year eve but still the new year excited me. Again, was it the new year or was it my birthday jus round the corner I could never tell.
Uh! it is a string of events - mom's birth day, christmas, new year, my birth day, dad's birthday school anniversary, pongal holidays, pongal - in the chronological order and stop it there I will have to go back to school again.It began on 24th of December and ended on 15th/16th of January- it depended on Pongal when it chose to end.It was what it was.
Things only got better with time.My girl friend, joined the party and placed herself in front of all these days with her birth day on the 18th of December!
Best things happen to me this month- the Autumn of the year but spring of my life- when leaves whither and fall elsewhere my eyes see only green everywhere. I wait, I wait to ring out the old and rope in the new, I put the old year behind me, I leave the old clothes behind, I leave everything I want to, with the ease that I never had all the other months, awaiting the new.
And hence December - December out of all months. And Evenings because December reveals its true character in the evenings and it is the time I start thinking about the next in line day-to-celebrate.
Waiting for New year eve tomorrow - another December Evening.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP