What is great in calling a spade a spade, say something metaphoric so that people rack their brains before they understand that you are talking about a spade.

Anbe en Anbe - Chennai

>> Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I leave Chennai, I arrive at Bangalore.Chennai - my second home; A city I loved to be in; A city which I never stayed out for more than a week, continuously, in the past 2 1/2 years- wrenched my heart when I left it. The pain I underwent when leaving this place cannot be described in words.
Chennai is humid, hell to stay in the months starting from April to September, because Lord Sun dries this place and people all he can, and of course returns this back the water he has sucked, during the following months in the form of incessant rains. In short Chennai is untenable, both in summer and rainy seasons. But that does not deny the fact that I made this place my home. And also me stating the shortcomings of Chennai climate does not negate the truth that I love this place. Tamil and only tamil runs all over except in corporate spaces, even some times these are filled to brim with hums of Tamil.
I am not confusing you, neither am I contradicting myself by putting only the shortcomings of the place and still saying I like it. All I have to say is Chennai as city has a character of its own, it thrives at its own frequency. People come here learn new things, perhaps a new language and evevn in some cases, like me, new culture. Another place I have seen that retains it character and vibrates at its own frequency is Kolkota. People view these cities as retard metropolitans, but for me these are cultural crucibles.
I have a question for all of you who resent being in place that resists change - when you go to a new place, say the united states do you try and adopt to the new culture there or do you demand them to adopt your culture?Again, agreed it is true that I am talking about a nation and you are expecting to be welcome in your own nation, but in a different state. But thats how culture survives. Go to the Indian villages which are respected and revered as true India, what do you expect? Then why can not a city be so?
But onething I can tell the readers, ask for help in a language these people her understand you will not be turned down. I made some of my best frens here at work. I learnt the lessons of life from people here.And never encountered regional discrminication at work or any other civilized quarter of the city.Leave out the auto wallahs, you can not demand an auto driver to be civilized( if you find one, you are blessed) irrespective of the city he drives auto in and also leave out the scum - it is a part and parcel of every city.
Classical music tradition - the oldest in the world- is a glorious gem in the crown of this princess. Every week you have concerts, art exhibitions, literary evvents and many more fine art related expos going on around the city. What else can an art enthusiast ask for?
Chennai has got one of the best intra city road transport facility and it comes second to none in terms of traffic regulation and control. I say this comparing this place with Hyderabad( my own state capital), Kolkota, Bangalore,Bhubaneswar(it hasn't get traffic at all), Visakhapatnam - some of the major cities in Eastern and Southern India. Wait, why am I trying to convince people that Chennai is a great city to stay in ? I don't care what you think about it. For that matter my girl friend hates this place. She was the happiest person when I got an offer in Bangalore, because to take the offer I have to move out of the place and she can follow me out of Chennai. But one thing is true those who love this place cannot stop loving for all the shortcomings and I am one of those. Chennai I will be back one day, this time to settle in your heart forever.This time I will come better prepared learning your tongue and earning a little more to counter " not-so-favourable" climate with an A/C and also to put up at a place which does not have water problem. Do not bother what others say my dear Chennai, you have fans and you will always have them no matter what. Rest assured that along with me you have another vote whether or not she likes you!!!

2 comments:

Unknown May 29, 2010 at 4:33 PM  

long way to go , my friend..you would see lot of cities in your life..Each city will have a special place in your heart..

Unknown August 16, 2010 at 12:20 AM  

Sreee


I read this article very long back but missed to comment. Realy good article. Generaly ppl(migrants) in Chennai get frustration due to merciless weather. But most fail to discover the brighter side of it and leave the place with negative note which is disappointing.

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP