What is great in calling a spade a spade, say something metaphoric so that people rack their brains before they understand that you are talking about a spade.

Joining letter from SAG

>> Sunday, May 2, 2010

Though I am posting this today, this post should be considered latest as on 18th of March 2010.
I received an offer last week from SAG. Most do not know that, there exists in this world an organization with this name.However, few know it and value it. The offer I received was decent, compelling and impounding, all at once. SAG is the vendor and parent organization of the product which I have been working on for the past couple of years. It is a dream for many to be a part of this organization. With all the "many" I shared the dream. For most of them, it remains a dream due to various reasons. But I had an offer in hand with a decent compensation. An year back it would have been easy to pick this offer and walk away from my current employer, TCS. During the last year I have revised my own benchmarks and redefined them at TCS. And, as a consequence my supervisors and managers were pleased. In my quest to learn integration and SOA, I have treaded into areas entirely unwelcome to a 1 year old in the IT industry. In the process I struggled hard, did a lot of homework, dug into te unexplored nooks of the application and at times reverse engineered it. I was recognized, and was given challenges that dragged me further into the technical realms which I though I would never get into in this lifetime owing to my aspirations of being an MBA grad from a deemed B-school. I never resented the deviation from my path for at my heart I am a computer science graduate. Of course I operate very much with 1s and 0s.
With all the work I have been doing, I was rewarded, appreciated by the immediate superiors and also by managers and heads up in the hierarchy. I was viewed at as a reliable resource and I never disappointed anyone. At times there were glitches with immediate colleagues but it wasn't to be worried about "much", as I believe attitude is a personal thing and should not intervene in profession. And, I was careful with those who did not realize this fact.To be honest, though it did not matter much it caused ripples in my otherwise pleasant work environment.
Irrespective of the tide I am riding at TCS I decided to switch lanes and move on to quench my thirst to learn and to reach there where I wanted to be, faster. Simply put I want to be the best in the business and want to occupy the space which a technocrat alone or a management graduate alone cannot occupy. I want to be the best of both. A manager who can soil his hands in technology. A techie who can handle sales and clients with ease and panache. Weird dream isn't it ? But I cannot help. Neither is it seemingly possible from where I am.
I put forth my plan to quit before my manager. He was taken aback as nobody expects you to quit when all the good things are happening around you and especially when you are in middle of so many proactive measures. In the following weeks I was asked by senior management reasons for quitting. After listening to my career aspirations, they told me what they were willing to do for me and they promised to move me into a different work environment and showed me a path to be a technocrat which was non-existent till now in TCS. They had some plans to provide technology verticals for associates who like to be full fledged technocrats. The promises of travel abroad, change of role or no other promise succeeded in influencing my decision. I really appreciate all the pain my managers have taken to convince an associate whom they consider is worthy. But I knew what I have before me. A chance to be one among the few. With this playing at the back of my mind I boarded this train to Bangalore to confirm my intention to join SAG and thereby collect my offer letter. TCS ends and SAG begins both, alphabetically and in the context of my life. I know, I am leaving a secure job and all the recognition I have here behind to negotiate a blind curve. But ha! life is like that -take caluculated chances. And I believe I have caluculated odds pretty well. Anyways how much interest does a savings account yield though it is secure? 8%? And, how about a well managed stock ? Again I am not specculating, I am investing in my future.

3 comments:

Raj May 12, 2010 at 5:28 PM  

Experimenting things at early stAGE doesn't come under "RISK" category! So keep ROCKING :-)

Sree PJ May 12, 2010 at 11:11 PM  

Yea I believe so, but was a little circumspect initially. Thanks Raj I will try and do my best here.

Unknown May 29, 2010 at 4:37 PM  

Raj said it right!! You have the luxury of experimenting at starting of your career. So , Keep Rocking!!

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP